Brexit For Members

Which UK benefits can Brits keep if they move to Austria?

The Local Spain
The Local Spain - [email protected]
Which UK benefits can Brits keep if they move to Austria?

You may be surprised to find out that there are a handful of UK benefits Britons can still claim if they live in Austria.


If you have worked in and paid taxes in the UK for a long time and then move to Austria, you may want to know if you’ll still be eligible for UK benefits.

While most benefits can’t be claimed while you live abroad, there are still some that you may be able to hold onto, depending on your individual circumstances.

Be aware that you will need to tell the UK government if you’re moving to or retiring in Austria.


UK State Pension

The most important benefit for many is their UK State Pension and the good news is that you can still claim this if you move to Austria.

The UK government website states: “You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries”.

READ ALSO: EXPLAINED: What happens if you overstay your 90-day limit in Austria?

If you live in one of the above countries such as Austria, your UK State Pension will be increased annually in line with the rate paid in the UK.

You can also count relevant social security contributions made in Austria to meet the qualifying conditions for a UK State Pension, the UK government confirms.

What about other benefits?

According to the UK government, if you’re eligible, the following benefits and payments can be paid to Britons in Austria, other EU countries and Switzerland:

  • Bereavement Support Payment and other bereavement benefits
  • Industrial injuries benefits
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Statutory Maternity Pay
  • Statutory Paternity Pay
  • Statutory Sick Pay

Keep in mind that the UK has social security agreements with EU countries like Austria that allow you to claim some benefits while you’re there, which means that your National Insurance contributions can count towards your eligibility for benefits here in Austria.

Remember, you only need to pay National Insurance contributions in the UK when you’re living in Austria if the HMRC has issued you with a special certificate. This certificate can be used as evidence that you do not need to pay social security contributions in Austria, according to the UK government. 

READ ALSO: ‘Bring everything you have’: Key tips for dealing with Vienna’s immigration office MA 35

This situation, however, only applies if you’re temporarily living in Austria and working for a UK employer, if you’re working on a ship or are cabin crew (and your home base is the UK), if you’re working in both Austria and the UK or if you’re a civil servant working for the UK government and in EU.

The UK government website has a great tool here you can use to find out which benefits you may be eligible for while living abroad, but here’s a breakdown of some that you may be able to claim while you’re living in Austria.


Maternity Benefit

You can only claim UK maternity benefits in Austria if you are working for a UK employer and paying Class 1 National Insurance.

Child Benefit

Generally, you can’t claim child benefits from the UK in Austria, unless you're claiming other benefits UK at the same time, then you may be able to.

Statutory sick pay

You can only claim UK sick pay if you are working for a UK employer while in Austria.

Employment and Support Allowance

You may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance from the UK if you lived or worked in Austria before January 1st 2021, but it will depend on your specific circumstances.

READ ALSO: Passports: What are the post-Brexit rules for dual-nationals travelling in Europe?

Carer’s Allowance

You can only get Carer’s Allowance if the person you care for gets a qualifying benefit from the UK and if you lived or worked in Austria before January 1st 2021.

Bereavement Support Payment or Widowed Parent’s Allowance

You may be eligible to claim this type of benefit while living in Austria, but it will depend on your individual circumstances, so you will have to contact the relevant UK authorities to find out.

Tax credits

You may be able to apply for certain UK tax credits if you are also claiming other benefits from the UK at the same time and you pay tax there or if you’re a cross-border worker.

Benefits you definitely can’t claim from the UK while living in Austria include Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support and Winter Fuel Payment.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also