SHARE
COPY LINK

RESTAURANTS

Will Austria stick to the March deadline for opening restaurant terraces?

Austria hopes to open outdoor areas at restaurants by late March, but increasing coronavirus infection rates may see the plan scrapped. Here's what you need to know.

A man eats a sandwich in a Schanigarten
JOE KLAMAR/AFP

There are tentative plans for the Austrian government to allow restaurants with outdoor seating (Schanigarten) to open for outdoor dining from 27th March.

Explained: Everything you need to know about Austria’s plan to ease lockdown

In Vorarlberg, restaurants with outdoor seating are planned to open from 15th March. 

But will this go ahead – or could we be waiting longer? 

What safety measures could be in place?

Newspapers report the opening will be based on the following requirements: 

  • A recent negative test result for coronavirus (not older than 48 hours). 
  • Customers wearing FFP2 masks when not seated,  
  • Waiters and waitresses wearing FFP2 masks.
  • Only two households per table.
  • A closing time of 20:00 
  • Distance between each table of 1.5m

What are the problems with the plans? 

Coronavirus infections are rising rapidly and the number of intensive care beds occupied by corona cases has increased by 20 percent in one week.

Health Minister Rudolf Anschober has said he is “alarmed” by the latest figures, Der Standard newspaper reports.

However, Vienna’s Health Councillor Peter Hacker said if the vaccination program gathers pace, this could bring down the numbers in hospital. 

The other fear is that Germany is considering using a similar test strategy to Austria’s to open up.

Have your say: What is your favourite outdoor dining spot in Austria?

This could bring a shortage of antigen tests. Hacker says it could cause the tests to run out in “one swoop”. 

The government will make its decision  on 15th March on whether to open restaurants.

Do enough restaurants have outside areas for dining? 

In Vienna there are around 3,500 outdoor eating areas spread out around its 9,000 restaurants.

However, some restaurants do not have large enough outdoor areas to justify opening without indoor dining, especially with distance rules, according to Der Standard.

People enjoy sunny weather in Vienna’s Stadtpark (Photo by JOE KLAMAR / AFP)

Plan to use city parks in Vienna

Vienna’s mayor Michael Ludwig is considering using the Rathaus square, Karlsplatz,  Danube Canal and the Stadtpark as outdoor dining areas for bars and restaurants with no outdoor dining areas.

He is also looking into the possibility of food trucks, he told broadcaster ORF.

Normally the Stadtpark is used every year for the Viennese Gourmet Festival, which gives a good idea how dining in the park could work in practice. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

COVID-19

Austria in shock over doctor’s suicide following anti-vax abuse

Austrians expressed shock and anger this week over the suicide of doctor who had been the target of a torrent of abuse and threats from anti-vaccination protesters.

Austria in shock over doctor's suicide following anti-vax abuse

The bells of Vienna’s St. Stephen’s Cathedral rang out in memory of Lisa-Maria Kellermayr on Monday, and hundreds of people held a candle vigil outside, after the 36-year-old doctor was found dead at her practice on July 29.

She had long been the target of death threats because of her criticism of the widespread anti-lockdown protests of 2021.

An autopsy later confirmed that Kellermayr had taken her own life.

Austria has found itself deeply polarised over coronavirus restrictions and in particular a government policy –subsequently dropped — of making vaccination against the coronavirus compulsory.

Kellermayr — whose practice was in the region of Upper Austria where immunisation rates are particularly low — had frequently complained of the menace.

“For more than seven months, we have been receiving… death threats from those opposed to coronavirus measures and vaccinations,” she wrote at the time, sharing a message from one internet user who said they would pose as a patient in order to attack her and her staff.

She described how she had “invested more than 100,000 euros” ($102,000) in measures to ensure her patients’ safety and was on the brink of bankruptcy.

Then, at the end of June, Kellermayr announced on her professional website that she would not be seeing patients until further notice.

Daniel Landau, who organised a memorial vigil for her in Vienna, said that Kellermayr had become a virtual recluse for several weeks. “She didn’t dare to leave” her office, Landau told AFP.

Fanning the aggression

On Saturday, the head of Austria’s doctors’ association, Johannes Steinhart, said that while aggressive behaviour towards medical staff was not new, it had been “fired up and noticeably aggravated” by the debate over Covid-19 and vaccines.

The police, who had previously suggested Kellermayr was exploiting the situation for attention, insist they did everything to protect her. The local prosecutor’s office also rejected suggestions it could have done more.

“As soon as we received the police report (identifying one of the suspects), we sent it over to the relevant authorities in Germany,” spokesman Christoph Weber said.

On Friday, prosecutors in the neighbouring German state of Bavaria said a 59-year-old suspect was being investigated by a specialist hate speech unit.

At the beginning of the week, Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen visited the small town of Seewalchen where Kellermayr lived to lay flowers in her memory.

After news of her death broke, he had appealed to Austrians to “put an end to intimidation and fear”.

‘They’re gagging us’

But on some Telegram groups, the hateful messages continue.

“Some people are celebrating her death; others believe the vaccine killed her,” said Ingrid Brodnig, a journalist and author who investigates online disinformation.

“Stricts laws exist” already against online hate, but not enough is done to implement them, Brodnig said.

One government minister has floated the idea of a separate prosecutor’s office to target such cases. Doctors and researchers have also been targeted elsewhere.

French infectious disease specialist, Karine Lacombe, described how she had been vilified for her work as part of a collective of doctors combatting coronavirus-related disinformation.

She, too, complained that the response from the authorities in the face of threats was not robust enough, and has scaled down her public appearances this year.

“You end up thinking that the risk isn’t worth it,” she told AFP. “In that sense (the aggressors) have won, they are gagging us,” she said.

SHOW COMMENTS