First Britons in Austria receive post-Brexit residency cards

The Local
The Local - [email protected] • 28 Jan, 2021 Updated Thu 28 Jan 2021 11:08 CEST
image alt text

The first Austrian residence permits have been given out to British people in a ceremony in Vienna attended by British Ambassador Leigh Turner and Vice Mayor of Vienna Christoph Wiederkehr


Pamela Small was the first UK resident to receive her Article 50 EUV Card, which gives British people the right to live in Austria for between five and 10 years following Brexit, depending how long they have already been resident in the country.

Mayor Widerkehr wrote in a tweet: “It is unfortunate that the UK no longer belongs to the EU. Viennese Britons still belong in our city and should continue to feel comfortable here. British citizens will remain an important part of our society even after Brexit!"


Ambassador Leigh Turner said he was “delighted” to congratulate one of the first British people to receive an Article 50 Residence card in Vienna, and said it was a “good start” to registering all 12,000 UK nationals in Austria.

Around a fifth of the 5,000 Britons living in Vienna have already submitted their Article 50 applications, according to the City of Vienna.

With the Brexit transition phase now over, a new residency application process is being rolled out for those British residents in Austria covered by the Withdrawal Agreement. 


What is the new residency permit that Britons need?

The new post-Brexit residency permit for Britons who were resident in Austria before the end of the transition period on December 31st is known as the Article 50 EUV Card. This guarantees the right to permanent residency for five or ten years, depending on how long you have already lived in Austria. 

Any British nationals moving to Austria in 2021 and beyond cannot qualify for the Article 50 EUV card and must apply for a visa as a third country national.

READ ALSO: What Britons in Austria need to know about post-Brexit residency cards

The application process opened on 4 January and the deadline for submitting an application is the end of December 2021.  

To submit the application for the Article 50 EUV Card, British residents have to book an appointment with the relevant authorities where they live.

For more info CLICK HERE.



The Local 2021/01/28 11:08

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

[email protected] 2021/01/30 10:09
Will British expats having the card be allowed free movement within the EU?
[email protected] 2021/01/30 10:09
Will British expats having the card be allowed free movement within the EU?

See Also