Man in Austria fined 500 euros for deliberate ‘massive flatulence’

Austrian police fined a man 500 euros for loudly breaking wind after officers stopped him earlier this month to check his identity.

Man in Austria fined 500 euros for deliberate 'massive flatulence'

The police defended the massive fine saying he had deliberately emitted a “massive flatulence,” lifting his backside from the bench where he was sitting.

The accused complained of what he called the disproportionate and unjustified fine when he gave his account of the June 5 events on the O24 news website.

In reply to social media commentaries that followed, the police in the Austrian capital justified their reaction on Twitter.

“Of course, nobody is put on the spot if one slips out by accident,” the police said.

However, in this case, the police said, the young man had appeared “provocative and uncooperative” in general.

He then “slightly raised himself from the bench, looked at the officers and patently, in a completely deliberate way, emitted a massive flatulence in their immediate proximity.”

The police said the man can challenge the fine in the legal system.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Austrian innkeeper throws plates and punches after customers complain

Two diners in Austria bit off more than they could chew when they dared to complain about a mix-up in their food order and were compelled to run for safety from the enraged restaurant owner, police said on Thursday.

Austrian innkeeper throws plates and punches after customers complain
Stock photo: Depositphotos/FancyStudios
Police in Upper Austria said they were called to a restaurant in Bad Schallerbach, about 200 kilometres from Vienna late Wednesday, when the owner went beserk and hurled abuse — as well as dinner plates piled with food — at two customers who pointed out that he had got their order wrong.
“After being confronted with a complaint about an order mix-up, the 56-year-old innkeeper… threw plates and their contents in the customers' faces,” the police said in statement.
The two customers — a Hungarian and a German national aged 40 and 41 — suffered facial bruises and a cut lip, the statement said.
The owner then turned on a group of four other diners who wanted to leave the establishment following the incident and repeatedly hit a 43-year-old man and his 71-year-old father.