Advertisement

Mother failed to call for help after toddler scalded himself with boiling water

The Local Austria
The Local Austria - [email protected]
Mother failed to call for help after toddler scalded himself with boiling water
Photo: Jamie/Flickr

An Austrian woman failed to give her young child any first aid and didn’t call a doctor or an ambulance after he received life threatening burns after being scalded by a pot of boiling water.

Advertisement

Police say the 34-year-old woman waited for several hours before giving her two-year-old any treatment for his first degree burns. They believe that he pulled a pot of boiling water down from the stove, emptying it over his head and upper body.

The accident happened on Wednesday afternoon in an apartment in Vöcklabruck, in Upper Austria. It was only when an acquaintance of the woman called round at the apartment that she finally called an ambulance. The seriously injured toddler was taken to Salzburg University Hospital, and is now being treated in a specialist children’s hospital in Munich in Germany.

A spokeswoman at Salzburg University Hospital said that the boy’s condition is critical, and that he suffered first degree burns on 70 percent of his body.

Police are now investigating why the mother did not act more quickly to get medical help for her toddler.

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also