Woman finds 'bloodstained' banana in shopping
The Local · 7 Jun 2016, 12:35
Published: 07 Jun 2016 12:35 GMT+02:00
The banana was one of a bunch that was bought by a customer identified only as Sanja M. who had been shopping in the supermarket in the Austrian capital Vienna.
The 34-year-old mother then took the bananas home and decided to tuck into one at the weekend after feeling hungry.
But she said that seconds after opening it she started screaming when she saw it.
She told Heute: "A piece of it was completely red all the way through. I mean everybody knows brown bananas, but this looks just like blood, it was really disgusting."
The young woman posted the pictures on social media where they quickly made the rounds, sparking speculation as to the cause from online users.
Some suggested it was really blood that had been injected into the banana, while others suggested it might be chemicals or a type of algae.
According to reports, the banana will be studied by experts, although many suspect it just hadn't grown properly.
The Local's resident banana expert suggests it's most likely an infection of the rare fungus, Nigrospora, which can be dangerous when ingested -- so he suggests not eating such bananas. It's also known as Squirter's Disease, but we don't care to speculate on the meaning of the name.
Story courtesy of Central European News