A worker who opened the container had been shocked to spot the snake inside, before it slipped away and disappeared.
Experts were immediately called and – with the help of photographs – identified the snake as an Indonesian spitting cobra, whose venom can be deadly to humans or leave people blind if spat in the eyes.
An intensive search was carried out throughout the factory but the snake has still not been found.
According to experts quoted in Heute, the nearest antidote to venom of this kind is probably in Germany or Switzerland.
“In Austria there is probably none,” suggested snake expert Georg Jachan.
Authorities were informed on Monday and are expected now to get hold of the antidote in case the snake comes into contact with someone.
Meanwhile, people in the area have been told to be on high alert and not to approach the snake if they see it.