Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Linzer loses hand with improvised firework

Share this article

Linzer loses hand with improvised firework
Police have been cracking down on home-made fireworks for weeks. Photo: APA/HERBERT PFARRHOFER
16:32 CET+01:00
A 21-year-old man from Linz lost part of his left hand when an improvised firework exploded prematurely on New Year's Eve.
According to Upper Austrian police, a 19-year-old man from Mondsee prepared a 'spray candle' firework from ingredients, including salt and powered sugar, which he had bought from a hardware store.
 
When the Mondsee man attended a party, he brought the firework with him, and left it unattended at the door of the house.
 
The Linz man attending the same party left the house briefly at 11:20 p.m. for a smoke break, and is believed to have picked up the improvised explosive mixture while holding a cigarette.
 
The resulting blast severely damaged his left hand, as well as causing burn injuries to his thighs and face.  Police have been unable to question him as his injuries are so serious.  Investigations continued on Thursday, and are expected to last a few days.
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Learn French in Switzerland: A fully immersive experience

Hiking in the Swiss Alps, visiting local chocolate factories, wine-tastings, jazz festivals and car shows are not part of your typical language course. Unless, that is, it's an Alpadia language course.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement