In the small Upper Austrian town of Leonding, Jimmy the house cat woke his owners around 4 a.m. with his loud meows. The 47-year-old father woke up from the fuss, and discovered the house was filling with smoke.
He quickly evacuated his wife and two children, and naturally didn't forget to also rescue Jimmy the life-saving cat, according to a report in Austria's Kronen Zeitung newspaper.
A burning candle inside a wooden lantern appears to have been the source of the fire, which then spread to a wooden chest of drawers.
After evacuating his family, the man went back into the house, and was able to successfully extinguish the fire before it could engulf the rest of the house.
The entire family (apart from the cat) was taken to the Accident Hospital in Linz for treatment for smoke inhalation.
The entire house interior was covered in soot as a result of the fire. Meanwhile, the heroic cat Jimmy is being looked after by the fire department, until he can be reunited with his family.