Traffickers force trio into prostitution in Styria
The Local · 23 Oct 2014, 12:59
Published: 23 Oct 2014 12:59 GMT+02:00
- Salzburg must pay €1 million to prostitutes (13 Oct 14)
- Human trafficking a $7 billion business (06 Oct 14)
- Prostitute kicked out of moving van (06 Oct 14)
- Prostitutes forced to live in cellar (01 Jul 14)
- Police tackle illegal prostitution in Carinthia (22 May 14)
The three people arrested include two unemployed pimps, 32 and 39-years-old, and a 30-year-old woman, who is self-employed as a prostitute.
The trio are believed to have advertised on the Internet in 2013 for the young women to come and work in Graz, Ilz and Leibnitz, police said on Thursday.
The three victims, each from Romania and aged 22, 26 and 28-years-old, were then transferred to Austria and forced to work in a brothel.
They claim to have been coerced and threatened by the pimps, and had half of their earnings seized on a regular basis.
The trio were arrested and interrogated, and have been charged with engaging in trans-border prostitution, pimping and issuing dangerous threats, and are now awaiting trial in the Graz-Jakomini prison.