48 asylum seekers intercepted at border
The Local · 3 Sep 2014, 09:15
Published: 03 Sep 2014 09:15 GMT+02:00
- 23 Afghan refugees intercepted near border (26 Aug 14)
- Four people smugglers from Syria arrested (19 Aug 14)
- Freeze on new asylum seekers in Traiskirchen (29 Jul 14)
- Refugees sent back to Italy (25 Jul 14)
- Nearly a hundred Syrian refugees found on train (13 Jul 14)
The group, which included ten children, was taken to a Red Cross care center in Plon, police said on Wednesday morning. They are expected to be deported to Italy on the same day.
On Monday, the interior ministers of Germany and France asked Italy to respect the Dublin III regulation, stressing that many migrants are landing in Italy but “headed to northern European countries”.
According to Austrian police, Syrians and other refugees are returned via the Brenner Pass to Italy on a weekly basis.
In July, 21 people were stopped while trying to cross into Austria, while in mid-June French authorities escorted five people off a bus at the Chamonix end of the Mont Blanc tunnel and sent them back to Italy.