Freeze on new asylum seekers in Traiskirchen
From Wednesday on there will be a freeze on the admission of asylum seekers in the main reception center of Traiskirchen in Lower Austria.
This was announced by the Governor of Lower Austria Erwin Proell (People's Party/ÖVP) on Tuesday saying this was an "act of self-defence and self-protection" to reduce the number of refugees in the Traiskirchen camp.
This was due to humane and safety-relevant motives, Proell added. Besides that he emphasised that he had already warned about the then-current situation on June 25. However, instead of an improvement the situation had deteriorated, he told the APA.
Proell recalled that Traiskirchen was originally only supposed to hold around 480 asylum seekers but at the current time the main reception center was holding three times as many. 40 percent of those living in Traiskirchen were refugees from Syria, many of them being deeply traumatized. That's why it was "inhumane" and "unacceptable" under the given circumstances to house them in Traiskirchen.
Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner (ÖVP) had given an ultimatum to the governors of those five provinces that had not taken in as many asylum seekers as they were supposed to. "If the situation does not improve until Friday, by providing agreed accommodation by the provinces, we will look for private accommodation there", she told the news daily "Kurier" on Monday.