SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Armed robbery at Klagenfurt McDonald’s

An armed robbery took place at a McDonald's restaurant in the early hours of Tuesday morning, in the Carinthian capital of Klagenfurt.

Armed robbery at Klagenfurt McDonald's
File photo: Markus Spring/Flickr

Two armed men stormed into the fast food restaurant in the Völkermarkter road at 1:45 am, according to the National Police Directorate of Carinthia.  

The employees and six customers were held at gunpoint, and were forced to lie on the floor.

The two perpetrators fled on foot after stealing the restaurant's cash.

Police immediately started a manhunt for the two armed robbers, who are described respectively as being between 1.9 and 2 metres tall, and 1.6 and 1.65 metres tall.

The larger man was wearing a bright hooded jacket, grey or light blue trousers, and was wearing a dark backpack. The smaller man was wearing a dark jacket, with a white or yellow stripe.

A few weeks ago another McDonald's restaurant in Klagenfurt was also been robbed, although a link between the two crimes is not yet confirmed. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Austrian people smuggler jailed over deaths of Syrians in minivan

An Austrian court on Monday sentenced a people smuggler to seven years in prison over the deaths of two Syrians who suffocated in the crammed minivan he was driving, Austria's news agency reported.

Austrian people smuggler jailed over deaths of Syrians in minivan

The bodies of the two men were discovered last October when Austrian authorities stopped and searched a van at the border with Hungary.

Thirty people in total were crammed in the vehicle, whose driver fled the scene but was later arrested in Latvia and extradited.

The 19-year-old Latvian was found guilty of people smuggling and causing fatal injuries, but was not found guilty of murder, APA reported.

READ MORE: Austrian police warn public about new ‘fake cops’ scam

He said he would accept the verdict, but the prosecution can still appeal it, APA said.

A court spokeswoman could not immediately be reached by AFP. 

Austria’s interior ministry announced in May that police had smashed a group believed to have smuggled tens of thousands of mostly Syrians, including the two found suffocated, from Hungary to Austria.

A total of 205 people suspected to be linked to the group have been arrested in central and eastern Europe, the ministry said.

Those smuggled, including children, were trying to reach western European countries, including Germany and France.

The October discovery of the dead men recalled a dire event in August 2015 when 71 people from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan suffocated in the back of an air-tight van where they had been hidden by people smugglers.

The bodies, including those of three children and a baby, were discovered in Austria but they had died while still on the other side of the border.

Almost four years later, the Hungarian courts sentenced their smugglers to life imprisonment.

The emotion aroused by that tragedy triggered a brief opening of the borders to hundreds of thousands of people wishing to reach Western Europe.

But Austria and other European countries have since fortified borders to stop people smuggling.

SHOW COMMENTS